1-2-3-4 Cake, George's Dad's Favorite Cake.
Recipe from George's Grandmother Keller.
1 c shortening (butter or Crisco)
2 c sugar
3 c flour
1 c milk
2 t vanilla
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
- Mix it all together
- Grease a tube cake pan (a bit of butter or Crisco on a paper towel works well)
- Add one or two T of sugar to the pan and swish it around, coating the pan's sides. Dump out any excess sugar.
- Bake for about 60 minutes (at sea level, or 75 minutes in Asheville) at 325F (160C), until broom straw comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Invert onto cooling rack; remove pan.
- When the bottom of the cake has reached room temperature, slide it onto a plate for serving.
F.W. Keller, George's Dad, loved this cake, eaten plain (no frosting) and warm out of the oven.