ABC Muffins, a variation on a theme from Parent's Magazine
1-1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 c all-purpose flour
1-1/2 t soda
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking powder
1 scant t salt
1 medium apples, peeled, cored, grated or chopped
1/2 c dried banana chips
1 c dried cranberries
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c honey
1/2 c oil
Yield is about 12 low-fat muffins with about 200 calories each.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Chop or grate the apples, or optionally, use a blender to mix the apples, buttermilk, eggs, and banana chips.
- Mix everything together.
- Spray muffin tins with "Pam" and (optionally) sugar the surfaces.
- Fill the cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.