Pie crust. Lella Kregel's crust is the best!
Diced onions, garlic, mushrooms, sweet peppers, broccoli -- whatever veggies
you want or have
Diced, cooked meat -- bacon, ham, pepperoni, whatever
A few T of olive oil
1-1/2 c Swiss cheese
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
Some salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (or a dash of hot sauce)
1/2 t dry mustard
- Saute the vegetables a small amount of olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Mix together Swiss cheese and meat.
- Mix veggies into cheese/meat mixture.
- Spread evenly on the crust.
- Beat together the cream, milk, eggs, a dash of salt, a sprinkle of pepper, and the dry mustard.
- Pour this liquid mixture over the other ingredients.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees for at least 45 minutes. (The middle will stop jiggling when you shake the pan.)
- Look at the quiche after it has been cooking for about 30 minutes and for each 10 minutes thereafter and cover lightly with some foil if the top begins to look too brown.
- Take pan out of the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes on a rack.
- Cut into pie-shaped pieces to serve